Professional MBA Curriculum
Professional MBA Curriculum
The Professional MBA can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis to fit your schedule. You can finish the program in as little as five quarters, or over the course of several years.
The curriculum is comprised of 20 courses, which include a set of required courses and electives, to make up 80 total quarter units. Students have the flexibility to choose electives from a variety of functional areas to customize their Professional MBA experience. There are six major components of the curriculum.
Gain unique skill sets and differentiate yourself as an expert in a particular area of business by choosing one or two MBA concentrations. Each concentration requires five courses. Students may also choose from a wide range of electives within each concentration to further tailor their MBA experience to their interests. Courses can be selected with the assistance of a faculty advisor to meet individual, academic and career goals.
- Information Systems
- Operations & Supply Chain Management
Students are required to complete MGT 402.
- Management 402 — Business Career Professional Development Workshop (Optional for Professional MBA students)
- Management 404 — Communication, Leadership, Teams, and Ethics (optional)
Students are required to complete nine core courses (36 quarter units).
- Management 200 — Organizational Behavior and Theory
- Management 201 — Statistics for Management
- Management 202 — Financial Management
- Management 203 — Managerial Economics
- Management 205 — Information Systems
- Management 207 — Operations Management for Competitive Advantage
- Management 209 — Marketing Management
- Management 211 — Financial Accounting
- Management 235 — Strategic Management
Students are required to complete 28 units of electives for the thesis option and 36 units of electives for the comprehensive exam option, which are offered in nine areas:
- Entrepreneurial Management
- General Management
- Human Resources Management/Organizational Behavior
- International Management
- Management Information Systems
- Management Science/Operations Management
Fieldwork in Management
The Fieldwork in Management is a mandatory internship portion of the Professional MBA program. The internship program is considered one course (four quarter units).
- Provides management experience that is complementary to formal classroom studies.
- Designed to provide meaningful work experience in a variety of industries, allowing application of academic knowledge and skills in a real-world business setting.
- Normally taken after completion of core courses.
- Currently employed students may be allowed to develop projects related to their current employment (four quarter units).
Learn more about the Fieldwork in Management course requirement.
All MBA Students are required to complete a capstone, which is typically undertaken in the final quarter of study. The capstone can be completed in one of two ways:
Option one: Complete MGT 238: Management Synthesis. This four unit course provides credit for the capstone and meets the comprehensive exam requirement.
Option two: Complete a thesis. Students will nominate three faculty members to supervise them as they complete a research project over two quarters. Students who pursue this option will enroll in MGT 299 in their final two quarters, for a total of 8 units. Students who pursue this option may apply 4 units of MGT 299 toward their MBA electives.