A. Gary Anderson
Graduate School of Management

Jules Yang Strives for Success

Jules Yang, an Orange County native, is a business administration major with a concentration in finance. “I knew I wanted to work in business, so I applied as a business major to UCR. The longer I’ve been a student, the more UCR has grown on me; it is a welcoming place,” says Yang. “Being involved in so many student organizations has made my college experience very fulfilling, and it has allowed me to make an impact on the campus, which is what matters to me. I’ve met an amazing and diverse group people at UCR, and in this day and age, diversity and inclusion are heavily emphasized in the workplace.”

Yang is currently an ASUCR senator, vice president of External Affairs for ALPFA, and treasurer for his fraternity, Delta Chi. Yang’s journey into executive positions began with ALPFA his freshman year. “My first year of college during COVID, I became involved with ALPFA, which I found through a mentorship program. My mentor was a member, and he introduced me to it. My second year, I wanted to amplify my experience, so when ALPFA opened up their board positions, I applied for finance, and got the position. It was the first leadership position I’ve ever had in a club.”

Jules Yang and fellow UCR students

Yang was determined to continue striving for success, motivated by his friends. “One of my friends inspired me because he was so accomplished and had made a name for himself. I wanted to follow in his footsteps, so I ran for ASUCR senator.” Of his experience as a senator, Yang says: “Each of my leadership experiences was distinctive in its own way, but being a senator was the most different, exciting, and unique. I’d never been involved in student government before, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. As a senator, you have to work with a team of senators, with your interns, and the executive cabinet. It’s helped me a great deal professionally and personally.”

Upon graduation, Yang hopes to be a wealth manager, or financial adviser. Through his involvement at ALPFA, Yang has secured a summer internship at Goldman Sachs, in the consumer and wealth management division. “I went to ALPFA conventions, and worked really hard to get an internship. I did a lot of preparation, refined my networking skills, my resume, and my elevator pitch. I came out with an offer from Goldman Sachs.”

Yang attributes an aspect of his professional development to his position as treasurer at Delta Chi. “It’s such a large organization, and as we’ve grown, the amount of money that I’ve had to manage has grown as well. It’s given me a lot of leadership progression and experience that’s allowed me to grow as a person.”

Yang encourages future business students to join organizations. “I don’t think having a business degree on its own is enough. The best way to be successful, regardless of your career path, is to put yourself out there, network, and get out of your comfort zone.”