A. Gary Anderson
Graduate School of Management

Keeping her Eye on the Ball

Highlander Highlight: Nadia Witt, MBA '24
By UCR Magazine, Spring 2023 |

For outfielder Nadia Witt, softball is more than just a game. Originally from Oregon, she recalls spending much of her early childhood in the field, watching her parents Kevin and Martha play slow-pitch softball. She began playing softball herself when she joined Little League at 9 years old and credits the sport with making her the person she is today. Witt joined the UCR softball team as a freshman and now serves as team captain while navigating her first year as a graduate student. The second in her family to earn a bachelor’s degree, Witt graduated from UCR in 2022 as an ethnic studies major and is working toward a master’s in business administration. As a Black woman in a predominately white sport, she hopes to be an example for other students. She aims to pursue a career in athletics as a sports agent, using her knowledge and skills to provide more opportunities for athletes and making sports a more inclusive and welcoming space, especially for other women of color.

Nadia Witt

YEAR
GRADUATE, FIRST YEAR

MAJOR
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

POSITION
OUTFIELD

Highlights
  • Softball team captain
  • All-Big West Honorable Mention
  • 14 of 15 on stolen bases
  • Slashed .330/.388/.425
  • 5 for 9, 4 R, 2 2B, RBI in Cal Poly series (3/26-27)
  • 9 for 19, 3 R, 2B, 10 RBIs in final six games of the season

Image of a opening quotation mark

My mother is by far my biggest inspiration. She’s always been my number one fan, supporting me in whatever I do and pushing me to do more. She’s everything I aspire to be in a woman, mother, and friend.”

Help Highlander Student-Athletes today

Make a gift to the UC Riverside Athletics Association to assist UCR student-athletes with academic support, strength and conditioning, sports medicine, health, wellness, and nutrition.

GIVE ONLINE

View the original article in the UCR Magazine online:

UCR MAGAZINE