International Student Resources
International Students and Scholars Office
The UCR International Students and Scholars (ISS) office is an excellent resource for all students who are interested in working in the U.S., either during or after their graduate program. The office has information regarding on-campus employment, off-campus employment, and participation in CPT and OPT. For accurate, up-to-date information on international student employment processes and regulations, please reach out to the ISS staff.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Curricular Practical Training is a program that temporarily allows international students on an F-1 Visa to gain practical experience directly related to their major area of study through employment or paid or unpaid internships. CPT is part of the academic curriculum.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training is an opportunity for students on an F-1 Visa to participate in professional, temporary employment that is directly related to their major area of study. OPT is not part of the academic curriculum.
For more information, visit the International Students and Scholars Office.
Resources for International Employment
- myvisajobs.com: An information portal and online community for visa job hunters around the world – includes searchable H1B Visa databases with information on companies, industries, job titles, etc.
- H1Bvisajobs.com: A job search platform for seekers who require an H1B work visa to maintain legal employment in the U.S.
- LockInChina.com: A job search platform featuring companies hiring for jobs in China, and are specifically seeking to hire students who have been educated abroad (in the U.S.) and are planning to return after graduation.
- 51job.com: A leading human resource solution provider connecting job seekers with companies hiring for open jobs throughout China.
- Handshake: Through Handshake, access the following resources under Career Center -> Resources.
- GoinGlobal: A career and employment resource page featuring information about working and living in countries around the world.
- UniWorld Online: A business database of multinational companies, providing information on headquarters and subsidiaries across the globe – searchable by HQ location, subsidiary location, industry, etc.