A. Gary Anderson
Graduate School of Management

‘One of the Most Interactive Classes I’ve Had’

Students honored Management Professor Michael Haselhuhn with the Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence
By Laurie McLaughlin |

The most effective way to engage a college student with material is through experiential learning.

Michael Haselhuhn, faculty
Associate Professor of Management Michael Haselhuhn

This is what Associate Professor of Management Michael Haselhuhn says when asked about his approach to teaching.

“For example, in my negotiation course, students participate in a series of face-to-face role-playing exercises throughout the quarter,” he says. “This allows them to feel the tensions involved in negation and to apply the theoretical perspective that we discuss in class.”

His students agree about the effectiveness of real-life engagement: “Professor Haselhuhn’s BUS 144 course is one of the best and most memorable classes I’ve ever taken,” wrote a student in a survey. “I truly love the mix of hands-on learning and the recaps afterward. It was a very effective mode of learning for me.”

This was just one of several similar comments made by students who voted for Haselhuhn to receive the 2021-2022 Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence in business administration elective courses. Haselhuhn was among five professors honored with the student-voted Golden Apple Award in various categories.

“I always look forward to Dr. Haselhuhn’s class,” wrote another student voter. “This is one of the most interactive courses I’ve ever had.”

Haselhuhn enjoys the classroom collaboration as much as his students do. “The most satisfying experience for me as a professor is to see my students progress and improve over the quarter,” he says.

“Many students are somewhat intimidated by the prospect of negotiation with their classmates and would prefer to avoid conflict altogether. By the end of the course, however, students are experienced negotiators who know how to productively navigate potential conflict.

“UCR students have a dedication to learning that makes teaching a genuine pleasure.”